Friday, July 3, 2015

Ancestry DNA Project

So today is participated in a DNA project.

On Ancestry.com they have a test you can take that helps you identify your ethnicity.



The results will include information about my genetic ethnicity estimates and identify potential DNA matches linking me to others who have taken the Ancestry DNA test.

It maps ethnicity going back multiple generations and can help identify the regions that your ancestors lived.

So I expect to see some East Slavic, some Germanic and some Irish. (at least)  It will be interesting to see.

It takes about 6 - 8 weeks to get the results in, so about mid to late August.

The test fee is $99. (I got mine on sale for $89) If anyone is interested in participating, let me know.   I will let you know how to go about it.  You have to have an ancestry account to get the results, since I already have an ancestry account, and in the interest in keeping all the information in a central location, we can use my account for the test results.

PS - I knew that the test was going to be a saliva sample.  I assumed it would be a swab.  I was wrong.  I had to spit into a tube, enough saliva to amount (they say) 1/4 teaspoon.  It sure felt like a lot more than that.  I had to spit 4 times to reach the required level.  I was mildly disgusted....... OK... a lot disgusted.  GAH

How accurate is the test??  
(answer copied from the FAQ's online)

AncestryDNA uses advanced scientific techniques to produce your results. We measure and analyze a person’s entire genome at over 700,000 locations. During the testing process, each DNA sample is held to a quality standard of at least a 98% call rate. Any results that don’t meet that standard may require a new DNA sample to be collected.
Then we compare your DNA to one of the most comprehensive and unique collections of DNA samples from people around the world, to identify overlap. As our database of DNA samples continues to grow, you could receive updates with new information.

Here is a link if you want to learn excessive amounts of information about it.

http://dna.ancestry.com/legal/faq#about-2

No comments:

Post a Comment