Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Learned a hard lesson

So this past weekend I had a major boo boo occur. I have been researching the Greenwich City Directories and found quite a few listings for Berech over the period of 1935 to 1960.  So many that I was reviewing all the media and deleting duplicates before I start transcribing.  Soooo, late Saturday night, tired and eyes crossing. I ended up deleting John Berech Sr..... in his entirety. Everything, all of it, kaput.........  I looked at the computer and thought.  What happened??? ... Oh shit.  NO... NO.... NO!!  OMG I did!! Not only that, everybody "above him (Mother - Father) and links that they were attached to also disappeared....  No "Undo" option, No "Recycle bin"........

A total meltdown proceeded over the next couple of days complete with, tears, pacing the floor and scolding myself for being so careless.



So several calls later to tech support for the software I am using.  I find, I have a choice.  I can reboot my most recent backup, (March) and put John back on the tree, (but I would lose all the media work I have been doing for the last 2 months IE: sorting, labeling, transcribing, and attaching said media to the proper places, AND all my notes of research questions that arose from all the previous work),

OR

re-enter all of John's information and media and the people above him by hand and keep the other  2 months of work.

I opted to keep my 2 months of work and re-enter John.  It took me all week.  But I'm back to status quo.  So 1 week of work as opposed to 2 months........  For such a major error, I think I got off easy.

Note to self: Back up more often than every couple of months........................!

Will have a new piece of media for you soon.

Charlotte




No comments:

Post a Comment