Sunday, March 28, 2010

John Berech Sr. Post 1

So Grandpa was born in Minsk Russia, as we all know.


So the first and usually easiest place to start looking are the census'. I know that John Berech was in the United States in the beginning of the 20th century. Not sure exactly when. I know for sure my Dad was born in 1931 and his brother John Jr. several years before that (I think 1929). I start with the most resent census, 1930. I look in New York and in Connecticut as I know that Dad lived in Port Chester NY and that John had restaurant(s) in either New York or Connecticut or both, but I don't know when??? So if John Jr. was born in 1929 and if John Sr. filled out a census John Jr. would also be on it. (not that he did, fill it out that is) I find nothing.

I proceed to the 1920 the 1910 and the 1900 census'. Nothing.

The stinker... is hiding from me!

Where to go from here....? It's suggested to me to look at the military records, and Viola!

I find is his WWI draft registration card he filled out on 5 June 1917. There should be a copy of it attached. It's difficult to read cause it's a bit out of focus. I tried enhancing it with Photoshop but this is the best I can do.



He's living in Manhattan New York at 422 E (can't read the street name maybe you can) NY, NY. He's 21 years old and lists himself as single and working as a waiter. Working at X-L Lunch at 873 8 Ave. He claims himself as an "Alien" and from Minsk Russia.

(I had no idea they would have "Aliens" register for the draft)

So now I know that he was born on Oct 12 1895. I know for sure he is in the US in June 1917 so he should have been on the 1920 and 1930 census. Which probably means.... he didn't fill it out. But I may get lucky later on.

If you read this differently than I do let me know!

And his signature is at the bottom!

I'm stoked!



1 comment: