Sunday, March 28, 2010

John Berech Sr. Post 2

After finding the WWI draft registration card I looked into WWII. I wasn't expecting to find anything since he was 21 when he filled out the WWI card, I mean he would be in his 40's after all. But I was wrong.

I found one. The WWII draft registration card, filled out April 27, 1942 in Greenwich Ct. There are 2 sides to the card so there are 2 attachments.


















I'm transcribing it as. His residence as 53 Sherwood Pl. Greenwich Fairfield Ct. and has no telephone. He says  he' 45 years old (can you imagine filling out a draft card at the age of 45?!) but that doesn't quite add up.  If he was born in 1895 he would be 47 in 1942.  (?)

(even crazier... the draft card at the top says it's for persons born on or after April 28th 1877 to on or before February 16, 1897. So they had people filling these out as old as 63 years old.) So my thinking he was to old to have filled out a WWII Draft card was waaaay off.


He lists himself as self employed with his place of business at 413 Greenwich Ave. Greenwich Fairfield Ct. The next piece of information strikes me as odd. He answers the following question: Name and address of the person who will always know your address.... His answer.... Wife (Is that what you call her Grandpa?) - Hains Blvd, Port Chester NY. (Does he have 2 residences or does Grandma live somewhere else??) Bill (Jr) seems to think that he remembers being told that he (Grandpa) worked all day everyday and that he was rarely home, and that maybe he lived close by in order to keep from having to commute. Any comments?

I return to the census. Nothing. Very discouraging. He may not have felt it necessary to do... Who knows.. but it's a very possible thing.

Next I find his SS death index for Jan 1963. Which sounds right cause he died the year Tanya was born (1963). I didn't realize it was before she was born. It's just an index and I have no document.

Would anyone have a copy? Joyce?? Maybe??

OH!!! and there's his signature again!  Cool!


No comments:

Post a Comment